Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Getaway to Horse Country

Fond memories of Spring trips to Keeneland throughout my childhood sparked a weekend getaway for Greg and I. I'd awaken early with my father to watch the horses train with a chill in the air. Come noon our family would head to the race track to embark on a day of crowds, $2 bets, and me choosing my favorites based on the horses braids or the colors of the jockeys silks.

Keeneland was everything I'd remembered. Greg and I failed miserably at winning big, but cocktails, sunshine, and watching horses was just what I had wanted.  Our only ticket to cash was a bet my Dad had me place for him. Pathetic. We tried the long shots, tried exacta boxes, tried the favorites. FAIL FAIL FAIL. Ha.

My memories of Lexington were a bit glamorized, I learned. Funny how good times really make a place feel like heaven. I would highly recommend visiting for a few days during racing season to experience the most beautiful horse racing track but downtown Lexington was a bit underwhelming. We did find the what I will deem a great breakfast joint (thanks yelp). Hello cheese grits, biscuits, and beignets! Go check out Doodles for your fix.


No comments:

Post a Comment